16 Tell-Tale Signs Of A Bangkok Foodie
- One who has tried each one of the following polarising foods: plara, sator, durian and chaom. Remember to try and not talk to or kiss anyone after consuming these foods J
- One who has encountered restaurants with strange names like an all lower case restaurant name or say a name with no spaces in between the words or better still, one with a combination of lower and upper case letters like BiStRos.
- One who prior to his or her meal at a restaurant actually reads the menu to inspect the type of ingredients being used in a particular dish as well as the kind of cooking technique that can be expected from them.
- One who spends close to 5 minutes clicking multiple pictures of one dish from different angles to get the best lighting and then another 5 minutes to choose the picture worthy of an Instagram upload. Not before exhausting a few more minutes on selecting the location and getting the (Thai) name of the dish right accompanied by the appropriate #Tags and emoji(s).
- A Bangkok foodie who is particularly fond of Japanese cuisine would know the following dishes famously sold in Bangkok – kaiseki, izakaya and omakase.
- While a wonna be foodie’s favourite pasta dish would be spaghetti carbonara, an original Bangkok foodie’s would be foie gras ravioli with truffle sauce.
- A Bangkok foodie would not call properly cooked pasta aroi, he or she would say al dente and instead of telling his or her friends “let us eat outside” he or she would say “Let us eat al fresco”.
- You would also be well informed that a lobster bisque cappuccino does not indeed contain actual coffee.
- When at a burger place, you would ask if they have brioche buns from the famous Conkey’s Bakery.
- A noted chef showing up at his own restaurant would make you feel like you are in the presence of a celebrity who you would have already requested to be your Facebook friend or probably stalked online occasionally.
- If you are a true Bangkok foodie you would have subscribed to many a cooking show on YouTube and have tried to replicate recipes or in all probability just watch the cooking shows while eating mama noodles.
- A major chunk of Facebook pages you would have probably liked are of restaurants.
- Besides recommending restaurants, you can name some mixologists, good-looking chefs and restaurateurs as well.
- It annoys you each and every time a restaurant misspells beef tartare with ‘tartar’, lamb steak with ‘lamp’, lobster ‘claw’ with ‘crawl’ and chocolate ‘mousse’ with ‘moose’ on the menu.
- You would know what colour your pee would be after consuming some healthy beetroot salad.
- You frequently tend to wonder as to when the Michelin Guides would come to Bangkok to see our gob-smacking food.
So c’mon question yourself and tell us how many of these 16 tell-tale foodie signs do you have?
Keyword – Bangkok Foodie